Webinar Technical Information
Walden Writing Center Webinar Recordings
Webinars are live presentations the Writing Center gives that are focused on a particular writing topic, including APA, scholarly writing, grammar, and Writing Center resources. Webinars are held entirely online, with the presenter sharing his or her screen, often using PowerPoint slides and examples from our website. During a webinar, students are able to ask questions of the presenter and other staff members, receiving answers to their questions in real time.
Webinars are free for all Walden students as part of their tuition, and students can attend as many webinars as they would like. The Writing Center offers webinars monthly, with the new schedule posted on the 1st of each month.
To learn more about the types of webinars the Writing Center offers, visit our archive, looking through the various categories of webinars. Here you will also find the abstracts for each webinar, explaining the information each webinar will discuss.
Before attending your first webinar, we strongly recommend you review these attendee instructions. Then, review the step-by-step explanations of the webinar registration and attendee process below.
Registering for a Webinar
1. Visit the Webinar Calendar to view our webinars for the month.
2. Click “Register” next the webinar you would like to attend.
3. A registration form will open in a new tab, asking for some basic information. Ensure you accurately type your e-mail address, as this is how you will receive the log-in link for the webinar.
4. GoToWebinar will send you an e-mail with an attendee link for the webinar, along with technical information. If you do not see this e-mail, make sure to check the Junk folder. If the e-mail from GoToWebinar is not in your Junk folder, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. If you are not in the Central Standard Time (CST) zone, check when the webinar will occur in your time zone by clicking "Show in my Time Zone" at the top of the registration page or by visiting this website.
6. You can also add this webinar to your Outlook calendar by clicking "Add to your Outlook Calendar."
7. You will receive reminder e-mails about the webinar a day before the webinar, which will also include your attendee link.
Attending a Webinar
1. At the day and time of the webinar, click your attendee link via the e-mail GoToWebinar sent you.
2. If this is your first webinar, GoToWebinar will automatically download to your computer, so allow a few extra minutes for this software to be loaded on your computer before the webinar start time. Note that because our webinars use both audio and screen sharing, you will need a strong Internet connection. If you have trouble with your Internet connection, consider connecting to the audio via the phone number GoToWebinar provides.
3. The Writing Center opens the webinar about 15 minutes before the session's start time. Until the webinar is opened, you may receive a message that GoToWebinar is "Waiting for the Organizer."
4. Once the Writing Center opens the webinar, you will be taken to a waiting room until the presenter begins the session. Note that all attendees are automatically muted for each webinar to avoid distractions.
5. If you need closed captioning for the webinar, look for a link in the Question box; click this link to access the captioning.
6. Writing Center staff will be available to answer your questions during the webinar; send these via the Questions box. Pay attention to the Questions box throughout the webinar, as Writing Center staff often send pertinent links and information to students via this box throughout the webinar.
7. Any materials the presenter will be using for the webinar will be posed in the webinar calendar. You can download these before the webinar to aid you in taking notes throughout the session.
8. Each webinar is recorded, so the recording of the webinar, any PowerPoint slides the presenter used, and a transcript (when available) will be posted in the webinar archive (located under the webinar calendar) the next day.
Using the Webinar Archive
All of our webinars are recorded and posted with the webinar's abstract, PowerPoint slides, and relevant handouts in our webinar archive.
- Webinars are organized by category
- Click each webinar's title to see the abstract
- The webinar recording, PowerPoint slides, and relevant handouts are listed under the date of the live session
We use YouTube to host all of our webinars on our Walden U Writing Center channel with six playlists to reflect our webinar categories.
- Comment on and like webinars you found helpful.
- Subscribe to our channel to receive automatic notifications when we have added new webinars.
Are you worried about attending a webinar? Test your connection by following GoToWebinar's instructions.
Are you having technical issue? Let us know by e-mailing email@example.com.
Mobile Device Users
Did you know you can attend a webinar or watch a recording on your mobile device?
All webinar recordings are available on our Walden U Writing Center YouTube channel, so you can now view a recording at any time.