Walden Writing Policies
All of Walden's programs and schools follow APA style, using the sixth edition (published in July 2009) or the Robert Perrin Pocket Guide to APA Style that abbreviates that edition. APA Advice is available for you and your students on our APA page. Keep these details in mind:
- Walden prefers 12 pt. Times New Roman font.
- Walden (and APA) allow for the use of first person where appropriate.
- We maintain samples of the types of reference list entries that often occur in Walden papers.
- Some assignments, particularly capstones, will require formatting that is slightly different from standard APA, especially on the title page and running head. These differences are clearly indicated in each assignment's guidelines and templates.
- The Writing Center maintains a collection of preformatted templates for student use. These templates are continuously updated to reflect current program and APA standards. Contact Amber Cook if you would like to recommend additions or adjustments to these templates.
Details about Walden's academic integrity policy can be found in the student handbook as well as on our plagiarism page. Faculty and student resources on academic integrity appear in several locations. See this document for a directory of these resources. A few details:
- Students can access Turnitin.com in two ways: through their classrooms or through the Writing Center. Detailed instructions on Turnitin drop boxes for classrooms are available in this tutorial from CTL.
- In addition to the Turnitin function within Walden classrooms, the Writing Center also maintains a Turnitin "class" drop box for student use. This drop box is a place for students to check for plagiarism and proper citation without saving the papers to the TII database. The Writing Center drop box is independent from your course TII drop box, which offers you more administrative controls and which saves submitted papers into the larger database.
- For questions about the Academic Integrity process or classroom Turnitin concerns, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the Writing Center TII drop box, contact us at email@example.com.
Browse through an archive of recent faculty questions on APA, writing instruction, and Writing Center services on the WC Toolbox for Faculty.
Would you like to be informed of new Writing Center services and events? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our faculty e-mail list!
For questions about tutoring services and Writing Center resources, contact Amber Cook at email@example.com
For questions about dissertations and form and style reviews, contact Martha King at firstname.lastname@example.org